20.11.09

{Fresh Friday}

Breathe....just Breathe...it's FRIDAY!! I never thought it would get here.....
Hi all...
Glad you enjoyed my yoga post and even more importantly....happy to know you think i'm flexible!! :)
As always I appreciate all the comments, they always make me smile~

flickr
Well...it's Fresh Friday and time for another installment of something super healthy to make!
This time it's .............
~Tomato Pesto Soup served in a Squash Bowl~
triple times five super yummy:)
I don't know...just a silly saying I always say! :)

Anywho...first roast a garlic clove~ I could live on roasted garlic but my husband doesn't always appreciate it.
Then chop some kale and saute it in a little vegetable broth or olive oil if you prefer~
After all that's done....throw a can of diced tomatoes, a little pesto and some soy milk in the food processor...oh and make sure to throw in the garlic and kale!Oh...I almost forgot to mention...when you put the garlic in the oven....throw in half of a cleaned acorn squash.
I'd say about 425 for about an hour...give or take...depending on your oven~ When everything is done just pour it into the squash and ENJOY! Kind of like a bread bowl but without all that bread:)Notice I also had a little pizza with mine! I just used the whole wheat crust I make from scratch and keep in the freezer. I threw on a little pesto, some tomatoes and onions! Put it all in the oven on 450 for about 12 minutes! It was fabulous~

I always roll the crust super duper thin....so that I feel like I am getting a lot of pizza, when really it's not all that much! More pieces of pizza...but less crust and thus fewer calories= I am happy:)Healthy Eating....

Just today I was at work and someone brought in some pomegrantes, so I was talking about how good they taste and how good they are for you! Well, someone said "so how many of those do you need to eat in one day to be healthy?"

Woah....hold on just a minute!

It often seems that people have the notion .... if one of something is good for you than 50 must be better!

I said "it's not about eating 50 pomegrantes in one day, it's about eating more fruits & veggies overall and really mixing it up."

So the point is....if you want to start getting a little more healthy and fit...eat more fruits and veggies and DON'T be afraid to try new things! Eating carrots everyday of your life isn't BAD but what about sweet potaotes, orange peppers or the many kinds of squashes there are!!?!?! I find that if I get bored with what I am eating...I tend to get off track...that's why I love to mix it up and try new things!! Plus every fruit or veggie has something different to offer your body! But overall I do try to eat a ton of fruits and veggies everyday!

I have found that I can incorporate them in interesting ways....like adding sauted kale to my tomato soup or serving my soup in a squash bowl.... you get the idea:)

I am not a nutrtitionist or a doctor ...... just a real girl trying to get real fit and learning along the way! Hopefully along my journey i'll inspire another~

Happy Friday and I hope you all have a super {fruits and veggies filled} weekend:)

"Whatever you want to do, do it now. For life is time and time is all there is." Unknown

9 comments:

  1. Love your blog:)
    That squash pesto looks amazing!! I've actually never roasted a garlic clove before.
    Such a good response to cluecless coworker #1. You're right - it's about incorporating more and more fruits and veggies in our diets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I assume you wrap the squash in foil just like the garlic, yes!? Love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paige...
    It's super simple to roast garlic. Just cut the top off and wrap in foil with a little olive oil. Put it in the oven on 425 for about an hour! I even love to put plain roasted garlic on bread and eat it!!
    Hi Maya...
    Yes I wrap it in foil!! It is super tastey. You should give it a whirl~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fabulous! And the veggie pizza, a perfect complement. Can't wait to try it!

    Smiles,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks super yummy!!! I still need to try to lasagna from last friday's post : )

    I agree with the being healthy thing, it is NOT all or nothing - it is a nice cozy place right in the middle of those two things!

    Oh, and my dog licks me when I am doing yoga too, & my son climbs all over me. A long time ago, when I was a crazy person, it would irritate me - now it just makes me laugh...a lot...out loud!

    Have a great weekend!!! Love your blog!

    Jess
    http://truesimple.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! Anything with pesto has my name all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love good soup in the chilly months and this looks so delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tasty! I love acorn squash soup bowls (but you may have guessed that!) Also, roasted garlic is one of my new favorite additions to soups.

    Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This soup looks so good. You're doing a great job on your journey!

    ReplyDelete

Hello.
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I really appreciate your thoughts:):)